Teach the child English language
Psychologists have proven that the study of foreign languages to children is much easier than adults. Some experts believe that the best age – with 4 to 8 years, while others believe that with 1.5 to 7. Whatever it was, many parents are wondering how to teach your child English – one of the most spoken languages in the world.
The choice of teaching methods depends on the age of your child, you know you (or someone in your family) English language enough to speak it, how much time and effort you are willing to spend on classes.
Should I take the classes at home or in a group?
Many teachers agree that communication in English is the perfect way to teach a child language. For example, the mother in the home constantly speaks English, and his father – Russian. The only condition – until the child turns four years, don’t go changing roles, otherwise you will confuse him. This really is one of the most effective ways, if you don’t speak English enough to talk with the child at least on everyday topics – pass English courses. Your effort will pay off handsomely. Will grow into a child-bilingual (billing), which will be equally proficient in both languages, will be able to communicate in any and easily switch between them.
If no one at home speak the language, you can hire a nanny or tutor, who will communicate with the child exclusively in English. If we are talking about a child older than four years, it is best to find a tutor who spent some time in an English-speaking country.
You can also prepare small classes and regular for your child. This method has a drawback: your son or your daughter treat you like a parent, family member and can simply refuse to do. To cope with this obstacle is not easy, need to prepare my lessons very carefully, to find or invent games that will lead to your kid, and you will not be bored. To make the child fail, and if they succeed, we can discourage any desire to do.
A third option – to drive the child to the group. The effectiveness of this method depends almost entirely on the teacher. And no matter whether he graduated from pedagogical UNIVERSITY. His knowledge of English may be limited to “children’s program” – most importantly, that he loved children and knew how to interest them.
What learning would you choose (in addition to creating language environment), training sessions should not last more than three hours per week.
Principles of teaching the child English
There are three principles, the observance of which will help you to achieve good results in studying English with a child:
Take the time to teach your child the tricks of the grammar and spelling, if you have the slightest doubt that he is ready for this. If you don’t use any tutorials and comprise the program yourself, you should pay special attention to the fact, to give the material sequentially. Although experience shows that it’s better to use good textbooks – a plan created by a professional linguist, will be more effective.
Many parents believe that it is not necessary to begin with a child under five, you should wait until he goes to school, otherwise these lessons “to take away a child’s childhood”. Actually, if the classes are organized properly, they will pass naturally – and the child will not feel any teaching load.
Perhaps not everything will go as smoothly as you would like. If some methods don’t like your child, set aside time for school, and then try to interest him in the language in another way.
Teaching methods for children
Choosing methods of learning English, please note, at what age it is intended.
1. The playing technique like both children and teachers, it is interesting and effective. The point is simple: the teacher conducts the game, during which children improve language skills.
The advantages of the technique: it adapts to any age (from one year), it can help to develop both speaking and knowledge of grammar, spelling, etc.
2. The technique Zaitseva suitable for children from three years. Recently it has been adapted for the English language – on the famous cubes Zaitseva now you can see the English letters.
3. The Glenn Doman method developed for babies: they are designed for visual memory of the child, that pictures and written words will be remembered and will simplify the teaching of reading and writing in the future. These cards can be made independently: Glenn Doman gave a clear recommendation in my books. Use a card it is possible not only with infants but children up to secondary school age.
4. Design methodology suitable for children from 4-5 years. The teacher chooses a topic and devotes a series of lessons. It offers different types of activities through which children will learn something interesting on the topic of the project, tasks for independent work (or your parents, depending on age). On the final lesson, the children bring creative, ambitious for their age work on a given topic.
5. Mixed method – in it you at their discretion combine other techniques, play with baby games, learn songs, develop projects, etc. the Main advantage of the technique – variety. It will be easier to interest the child, he will never know in advance what you will do today.
When should you start teaching your child the language?
If you decide to take the child’s education seriously and agreed with your spouse to talk at home in two languages (or hire this babysitter) can start even today. There is no age limit.
Decided to drive the child to a group or to do at home? Start no earlier than 4-5 years. By the beginning of activities the child needs to develop the linguistic picture of the native language, it must have sufficient vocabulary. If you start the child to explain what the “house” means “house”, and he doesn’t know what “home”, the effectiveness of training will be equal to zero.
Good luck to you and your children!
Boom learning foreign languages has given rise to hundreds of courses that offer to learn English “easily and in one month!” This article will tell You what you need to pay attention to distinguish the professionals from the scammers.
Most adult Russians, to learn in their time at school, studied as a foreign language, namely English. The question arises: why do most of us doesn’t?
Seasonal courses of English abroad can allow Your child not only to relax but also a natural way to learn the language and autonomy, as well as learn a lot about the culture and traditions of another country.
Comparison of English language courses with other ways of learning. Characteristic courses in the curricula, the time and place of classes. The particular choice of the optimum courses.
How to choose a dictionary of the English language, on what to look for and what are the criteria for a good textbook for self-study.